845 Prosper Road De Pere, WI 54115
Toll Free: 888.815.9648 Fax: 920.336.5956


Expert distressing adds character, warmth and charm to solid wood cabinets and drawer fronts. Our unique method means you can select the technique and level of distressing you prefer on your solid wood product. The distressed marks you choose are placed randomly on the face of the solid wood to achieve and aged appearance.

The door shown here illustrates the effect achieved by different levels of distressing. To further enhance a distressed look, we recommend a glazed finish and a matte sheen.


Distressing Techniques

  • 1. Nicks, Dents, Screw Marks: Technique of striking the entire wood surface randomly with tools to create the effect of wear over time.
  • 2. Corner Wear: Sanding technique used to soften the corners of door frames and panels before finish is applied.
  • 3. Worm Holes: Random placement of small round divots in wood creating the effect of insect penetrations that naturally occur in wood.
  • 4. Simulated Cracks: Hand made slits following the direction of the grain placed toward the outer panel edges and frames. Simulated cracks appear on some but not all pieces with some parts having more than one in various lengths for a natural look.
  • 5. Rasping: This technique will randomly place marks on the raised profiles and outside edges to simulate severe wear.
  • 6. Heirloom Rub-Thru: The profiles on the face side are rubbed through to expose the raw wood underneath simulating natural wear that would occur over time.

Distressing Levels

  • Level 1

  • Level 1-2

  • Level 1-2-3

  • Level 1-2-3-4

  • Level 1-2-3-4-5

  • Level 1-2-3-4-5-6

Contact Us

Contact Valley Custom Door for all your cabinet door, refacing and drawer box product needs. We look forward to exceeding your expectations.

Please remember that all finishes shown on this site are representative and may not be an exact match to the finish on actual products. Other wood species, finishes and profiles are available in addition to those shown on the door or drawer front pictured.